I kicked him off with a little touch from the airbrush over the last weekend. He was started with an ivory and brown basecoat so the reds didn't become too pink looking. Once the red was applied I added increasing amounts of purple and black to the mix. This was followed up with a wash of baal red and some pinning he's ready for some brush work :) more to come.
Thursday, March 14, 2013
Friday, March 8, 2013
I swear I've spent the last 3 days building bases but more on that later. While I work on the Swarmlord I'll also be avoiding burnout by working on a project for myself. As the title suggests it's Ky-ra' from Kabuki Models, a funny name but a great sculpt. Who doesn't love Frank Frazetta anyway?
Here she is before any paint. I wanted to show the bare pieces to give an idea of how it came together. The stone wall was made with milliput and attached by a thin sheet of plasticard on the back. A small divit for a cutaway of a puddle was carved into the front with my teeth.
I want her to have the complexion of a red head. Very pale, freckled, and soulless. The basecoat was consequently made of very pale skin tones with some pink and violet. This will be covered completely by brushwork but will serve as a good guideline of contrast to follow.
Thursday, March 7, 2013
Starting from the ground up. A suitably ruined pile of ruins.
The main body and all the gaps it holds are nearly ready for priming :) This should be a good one, I love gore and H.R. Geiger and here we will see components of the two develop so stick around. This bug is going to be a beauty.
Saturday, March 2, 2013
I posted an in progress shot of this guy last week and after getting the chance to finish him off I'm happy to add him to the ranks of my growing Trollbloods army. The Privateer Press plastics are coming along but still need a little more work. Maybe it's just me disliking alternative materials to miniature casting haha. Still a great sculpt though and much easier to handle than finecast.
Adepticon, as well as the Crystal Brush, is right around the corner. Relatively speaking. I'm hoping to have my Trolls fully painted for some open gaming over the weekend, my other aim is to have some entries ready for the highly contested Crystal Brush. I was very happy to take home two bronze brushes for both the unit categories last year. This year will be just like the last, I'm happy to simply place once in such a prestigious Contest. But mainly I need to make some conversions and finish off a unit for the Trolls. I usually regret not taking part in actually gaming at these conventions. I don't really sit still for much besides painting but that's my main goal this year. Hopefully I'll see you there : ) The countdown begins!
Friday, March 1, 2013
Although there is already talk of a second wave here is the finished project, 3 weeks in total. I set them up down at the Fire for Effect headquarters for a nice family photo. In no particular order here they be.
They'll be kicking power pants all across the galaxy from now on. Next up, if you remember what I was working on before this, I'm going to put the finisher on Goreshade the Cursed :) There is also a forest of commissions to get through, as usual. Stay tuned.