Sunday, December 30, 2018

Rocks Are Never Gray!

That's a lie, but it's controversial statements like that which will get people's attention and this topic is extremely important. Hold on to you seat!

 I always have fun painting rocks, it seems simple saying that but stop judging me. Over the last few months I've been getting a lot of hiking in and I find observing the natural, real-life state of things is the best reference for painting. I'm always taking in my surroundings and asking myself, out loud, how would I paint this? Which is weird when strangers are around but it helps me remember. Everyone is different and so are rocks.








I even found the illusive rusty barrel with the perfect accent color in the wild.


So now you have an excuse to use any color you choose to paint stones, also, try some wetblending and get some variety in tone, some happy accidents :)




6 comments:

  1. Hey Sam love your tutorials, I'm a dnd player and recently got into painting my own minis cause repainted sucks. You wargamer guys have forced my hand. I must get my minis to look as good as my 40k friends models. Two questions totally unrelated to topic 1:Where do I find a wet palette tray like yours? 2: is the scale of my minis for dnd different and do the techniques you use on space marines or skeletons apply on much smaller models such as gnomes,halflings etc. ?
    Anyway thanks for all your help brush licker lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey buddy you can make a *wet* palette pretty easy. First stay away from paper towels xnd wax paper. Second, get some parchment paper and sponge sheet(thin rag-like sponge:freds or dollar store) and a shallow container(1/4~3/4 high). Order of operation is to cut xheet sponge to fit bottom of cotainer , then cut parchment paper about an inch shy from touching edge and saturate sponge with water but don't drown it . Place parchment paper on top of sponge . As it starts to draw water it'll curl . Flip take a credit card or similar item and gently work it flat . Then experiment til you comfortable . Are you can head to HOBBY LOBBY , for less than twenty bucks . AND BEWARE OF THE GREATER GOOD........it's a lie

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am totally agreed with this article and i just want say that this article is very nice and very informative article.I will make sure to be reading your blog more. Looking for some inspiration for your next trip? Find great vacation ideas and inspiration from Things to do with your source for the web's best reviews and travel ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting,good job and thanks for sharing such a good blog.Your article is so convincing that I never stop myself to say something about it. You’re doing a great job. Keep it up . If You can create your own fake Tweet using fake tweet conversation and Prank friends. So read this article Fake Tweet Generator: How to make a fake tweet conversation?

    ReplyDelete