Monday, September 29, 2014

Ork HQ's Step One

I love painting me some orks :) What's better is that they're for the same client who bought my ork army. These guy's will be leading my old friends into the fray. 

It started with a little touch and go basing. Hacking, breaking, and biting though the sprues. 

Then some primer and the brush of air.

Next up it was time to start laying down the base colors with some brush work. More on that soon!

Saturday, September 27, 2014

Finished! Tau Crisis Suits

All wet and wild like Wisconsin Dells, in spaaaaace! Check my last post if you want to see how I created the bases. A very fun project, thanks JR, for keeping the challenges new :)

The next slice of the pie will be a set of four Ork characters so stay tuned!

Until then, try not to get too sad about the things you left behind. Or the things that left you.

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

WIP Wet & Wild Tau Wrisis Wuits

The latest Tau project is coming along nicely. Mainly because my experiment worked. I was tasked with creating some bases that  were in a river rapids theme. Although the water looks like a swimming pool it's the future so deal with it. 

I started off by cutting some strips out of a blister pack I had lying around, cut it to various sizes and twisted up the remains. Then began the slow process of gluing down the waves. I wanted them to be flowing in the same directions and breaking on the debris.

Next I applied some modpodge tinted with some turquoise. Once that was dry I started to add some water effects from Vallejo

It will take a few layers and a little white paint to tint the gel to make it look proper. The gels dries pretty clear so a little paint helps it hold more of a shaving cream like color.

The suits aren't half bad either. They were assembled in crazy poses by my client :)

And if I have anything to do with it, these will be finished. Today!

Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Comrade of Steel

An hour and a half later and the heroclicx communist superman is packing his bags for North Carolina.

Not as bad as I thought if would be to paint one of these figures. Although stripping away the nailpolish like paint will only make things more difficult, let that be a warning to you.

Now it's time for some Tau and a good painting soundtrack to go with it :) 

Friday, September 19, 2014

Friday Preppin

I've had many projects on the table recently. Now if I could pick a single one and finish it, that would be great. So It's off to the races, here are your contestants.

A grand burrito of Nurgle sausage, would you believe what is pictured is only half the story? Oh, you play 40K? So it's not hard to believe. One hundred more models please!

An hour and a half of power with a crummy Heroclix figure. I think I can make him better, stronger, more detailed :)

Three more crisis suits for the greater good. This groups themed bases were requested to be rushing rapids :) I'll be diving (ba-ha!) into some water effects once I've scrubbed the skin off them.

There is an order to the chaos and that is today's plan.
 Pro tip: Keep it varied and don't bore yourself.

Friday, September 12, 2014

Senery! Forest Temple

This was a laser cut kit given to me a few Adepticons ago. I've had an itch to make some scenery and remembered I had this kit sitting in a tote. After punching out the pieces I noticed I must have been missing one of the sheets. I didn't have enough bricks to wrap around the base of the arches. What I did have was some ivy from scenic express. I also had a copious amount of moss. Painting scenery like this is fun and a good contrast to all the details some miniatures present. I usually just shut off my brain and zen it out in a couple hours. Here's the finished result. 

Sunday, September 7, 2014

Saturday, September 6, 2014

WIP: Tau Crisis Suits

Yet another commission addition to my buddy's Tau collection. I was asked to create some jungle themed bases and also a barrage of arrows stuck in and around the crisis suits. Both were firsts for me, cutting out my own paper plants and building some arrows from cigarette paper. Oh, and paint the Tau on the bases.

Here they are in progress. I moved between airbrushing and hand brushing on various stages. 
Fun stuff. Once the reds were painted in by hand I went back to the air brush to highlight the tan. Then I was able to go back over the red areas and highlight over the lighter ivory tones. A bit of a time saver.

Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Finished! Ork Warboss

Of the Goff variety :) This was a nice mini to paint quickly and experiment on a bit. I kept the scheme simple to speed things up. What I wanted to play with was toning the black and green with alternate colors in the shadows. Such as blue to compliment the green skin and a slight amount of deep red mixed in to warm up the black. The underlying scheme being a play on the red, white, and blue combo. Just toying with subtleties :)

In conclusion I should have taken pictures from a higher angle, I'm not happy with the skin in the pictures. I also should have added more blood..always more blood. Love him better than me here.

I'll get it right the next time.