Friday, April 27, 2012

Tyranid Hive Tyrant step 1

First off, I'm back from Adepticon. This year was bigger and better than ever, I missed some things but there was plenty of newness around the corner to more than make up for that. I'll get around to posting about it soon, at the moment though I'm just getting back into the swing of things. So more on Adepticon later, for now I need to get my blogging juices flowing again :)

Day 1 being back from Adepticon had me going to the store and picking up a Hive Tyrant for a Commission I'd postponed until the post Adepticon time slot.

I started by sculpting up his base and doing my best to eliminate the massive amount of joins on the kit. Here are the legs after a white primer. I've always enjoyed the artwork of the Tyranids where they're in the midst of a full blown invasion and half the planet is already taking on a more Tyranid form. 


The next step was to do some brush work. The air propelled kind ;)


The next steps will be laying down basecoats and deciding where which colors will go. The basic idea I'm going for is a muted red, white, and blue scheme and since he has no metal areas I don't have to worry about metallics or non metallics. I'm going to take a movie monster painting approach to this guy use a lot of glazes and inks..plus plenty of slime.


1 comment:

  1. Welcome back Sam... I am looking forward to your Adepticon report!

    Do you find things like Nids to be easier to paint than other models? Or do you make up for the details by adding stripes, dots, or other animal patterns via free hand?

    ReplyDelete